Sanur Beach has been the icon of Bali since the era of ancient Balinese kingdoms. The evidence could be found in an ancient inscription dated back to 917 AD that described how King Kasari Warmadewa really enjoyed the beauty of sunrise on Sanur Beach. In the modern era, this beach was firstly introduced to the international community through paintings by a Belgian painter known as Le Meyeur. In fact, dut to his love to this beach, he settled down in Sanur area and established a painting workshop. Now, his workshop has been turned into a museum where people could still enjoy some of his works.
What to do:
Here at Sanur Beach, one thing that you MUST do is to witness the majestic view of the sun coming out of its resting place. Situated on the eastern side of Bali and located approximately 6 km from Denpasar, it promises an unforgettable moment to start your days in Bali.
In addition to that, this place is also famous for its kitesurfing. It is a kind of water sport where you will surf by relying on a parachute instead of the waves. Sanur Beach is a perfect place for it since it has both a nice long beach topography and steady wind.
Best time to visit:
- Watching sunrise: 5.30 am – 6 am
- Swimming and Kitesurfing: Noon – late afternoon (5 pm)
- Visiting traditional market: Morning – afternoon (8 am – 4 pm)
- Strolling or relaxing on the beach: All day long
- If you’re coming from Denpasar area, head to Jalan Hang Tuah and follow the street all the way. Once you encounter the first main intersection of Jalan By Pass Ngurah Rai (you’ll see Dunkin Donuts at the opposite site of the intersection), head straight to Jalan Pantai Sanur.
- If you’re coming from Ubud, head to Jalan By Pass Ngurah Rai through Jalan W. R. Supratman simpang Tohpati. Then, follow along the By Pass until you reached an intersection where you could see Dunkin Donuts on the left and KFC on the right side of the street. There, turn left to Jalan Pantai Sanur.
- If you’re coming from Kuta, head to Simpang Siur. From there, turn to Jalan By Pass Ngurah Rai and follow along the street until you find an intersection where you could see Sanur Paradise Hotel on your right side. Then, turn right to Jalan Pantai Sanur.
Estimated time required (with no traffic):
- from Ubud 1 H; from Denpasar city centre 15 min; from Kuta 30 min